Safeguarding Children & Vulnerable Adults Policy
We in BCW Training Limited are committed to practice, which protects children/young people & vulnerable adults from harm. We have accepted and recognised our responsibilities to develop awareness of the issues involved.
We will endeavour to safeguard young people & vulnerable adults by:
- Following the procedures for the recruitment and selection of staff.
- Adopting child/young people/vulnerable adults protection guidelines through a code of behaviour for all staff.
- Sharing information about concerns.
- Providing effective management for staff through good supervision, support and training.
We will also review our policy and practices at regular intervals.
Recruitment and Selection
In order to help screen out unsuitable staff we will follow a number of procedures when recruiting/selecting new staff we will:
- List all tasks that the individual will need to perform in the job description.
- Make all vacancies openly available to interested applicants by advertising as widely as possible.
- Ask for written information in the form of an application from which will contain details of personal details, work experience/ history and ask for a declaration of any criminal convictions.
- Ask for written references.
- Ask for personal identification.
- Carry out appropriate checks by requesting an Enhanced Disclosure from AccessNI using appropriate procedures as detailed in Procedure No 64.
Code of Behaviour for Staff
- Staff should remain vigilant at all times for any signs of abuse including self-abuse.
- Staff are advised not to make unnecessary physical contact with the young people/vulnerable adults.
- Meetings with individual young people/vulnerable adults should take place as openly as possible. Where privacy is required leave the room door ajar and inform other staff of the situation.
- Staff should never allow or ignore the use of inappropriate language amongst the young people/vulnerable adults, or toward staff.
- Staff must, when visiting a young person under 18 in their own home r a vulnerable adult, ensure that there is another adult present.
- If the individual is under 22, staff should encourage the presence of another adult in the home.
- Staff should never take young people/vulnerable adults on car journeys alone. Another staff member or young person should be in attendance.
- When interacting with young people/vulnerable adult, staff should always:
- Value and respect their opinion.
- Involve them in decision making.
- Listen carefully to what they have to say.
- Provide opportunity for them to share concerns/complaints.
The staff of BCW Training Limited must respect confidentiality at all times by:
- Sharing information about Learners or participants strictly on a ‘need to know’ basis.
- All staff must be aware that they should never promise to a child or young person/vulnerable adult to keep a secret. The legal principle that ‘the welfare of the child/young person is paramount’ means that considerations of confidentiality should not be allowed to override the right of the child/young person/vulnerable adult to be protected from harm.
- When a staff member has concerns they should immediately approach the designated Child Protection Officer in the organisation, for advice and support.
Recording allegations or suspicions of abuse
In any case where an allegation is made, or someone in our organisation has concerns, a record should be made. Below is a checklist of details which should be included.
This could include, for example-
- Name and age of young person/vulnerable adult
- Any special factors
- Parent’s/Guardian’s name(s).
- Home address (and phone number, if available).
- Is the person making the report expressing their own concerns, or passing on those of somebody else?
- What has prompted the concerns?
Include dates and times of any specific incidents.
- Has the young person been spoken to?
If so, what was said?
- Has anybody been alleged to be the abuser?
If so, record details.
- Has anyone else been consulted?
If so, record details.
SAFEGUARDING FLOW CHART FOR STAFF